Tuesday, February 2, 2010

In Tanzania

I have not had internet for some days so I will catch up.  I left Toronto on Friday, Jan 29th.  My wonderful friend Jana drove me to the airport and helped me sort through some luggage issues.  Thanks to her and Air Canada's Fabien, I only had to pay ?????for my overweight bags.  Not that much really.  My friend Susan came and joined us for a glass of wine and then I was off.  I had really mixed feelings for sure.  Finally on the plane to Zurich and then to Dar Es Salaam.  I was met by relatives of a friend of mine in Richmond Hill.  They were so wonderful to me for the weekend.  They sorted out my phone SIM card and got an internet stick for the computer as well as took me to exchange US for Tanzanian Shillings.  They took me to dinner, I had lunch with Zanat at the UN.  She showed me around and told me about her projects all over Tanzania, mostly in remote villages.

This morning I was off again to Mwanza.  I got to the airport and again had some anxiety over the luggage.  But, I showed the kind man my letter to Forever Angels and he did not charge me anything...........I was very grateful.  Most of the items are for the kids.

Amy picked me up from the airport.  All this time, reading her web site and e-mailing her...it was so great to meet her.  She dropped my things off at the Volunteer House where I met my "roomates" - all young 20 year olds.  Another woman comes Thursday and she is a bit older - but they are very nice and made me lunch.
I had a tour of the baby home and got to cuddle some of the babies that I have been reading about.  It was surreal.  I get to kind of orient myself today and tomorrow and then I begin.  They will show me the town tomorrow - I will get some food, water etc.  So at the moment, I have unpacked and am sitting on my single bed under a mosquito net - doing my blog.  Thanks for reading.....

1 comment:

  1. So nice to hear the fight went smoothly and you arrived save and sound. I'm sure all the babies will be smiling and cooing when they meet you Dorothy what a blessing you are to those little ones.

    ReplyDelete