Friday, February 5, 2010

Already here in Africa for a week

I arrived last Saturday night and can't believe this week went by so quickly.  At times, I have really missed my family, Lonny, Maggie and Petrie - my bed, my kitchen and all the things one takes for granted - like hot water, electricity - which all go off at some point daily.  Life here is very simple.  You go to the local market for vegatables and some fruit and even to get a skirt made.  Most people don't speak English - only Swahli but you quickly learn a few words.  Karibu is welcome, Assante is thank you, Polya is sorry (when people and kids are begging for money) and Jambo or Mambo for hello....they really appreciate it when you try to speak a little. 

We are very safe here and have guards and dogs day and night both at the volunteer house and baby home.  So don't worry about me.................

There is a volunteer from Spain, one from Germany, one from the UK, one from New York state, one from Chicago and another coming next week.  I have been lucky to have my own room and bathroom for now but have to Ishare starting this coming Thursday.  The house is very busy, the fridge very tiny, it was dirty but I cleaned it.  There are a few cockroaches - ooh - but you get used to it they tell me.

Last night the volunteers went to Talapia Hotel for dinner with Amy and Meghan.  It is a beautiful hotel on Lake Victoria.  That is where they go on their days off to relax.  I am off today but am going into town with another volunteer (Amy from the States) and her mother and then working with the teeny tiny babies.  I also want to work with several children with CP and other special needs in the Snozellen Room (Sensory room) - just like the one at our office.  Someone in the UK donated all the items for the Sensory Room - there is not another one in the whole of Tanzania.

I want to work as much as possible and get the most out of this experience.  I also want to get to know all the Mama's better (staff).  I am a Mama too except no one can say Dorothy so I am finally, Mama Darcy.

Talk to you soon.......

P.S.  Jana, if you are reading, they remember you - thank you for the pictures and everyone has this big smile when your name is mentioned...............

No comments:

Post a Comment