Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I am at the Baby Home for one week today

I can't believe I am here a week already.  I am getting the hang of the schedule - with 50 children, it is a tight and consistent routine.  Amy is the most organized and passionate person I have ever met. 

I went into town yesterday with Shelley and we met Mehboob who owns Musimuns Tours - he had contacted me in Canada as he knows people that I know from Tanzania.  He was told to "take very good care of me" - that felt good.    We are going on safari Feb. 19-21st in the Serengeti -hopefully more people will join us and it will be cheaper.  However, one could not go away for the weekend for what the safari costs.  It is tenting but very safe - only a few people get killed every month (just kidding).  That would not be good for tourism.

It was my day off but I went to the Teeny Tiny baby house to feed Amina, Anna and Charles and to cuddle Ashley and to do tummy time with him.  He was premature and has some special needs - he is constantly arching backwards so needs lots of tummy time.  I just love those babies - but I promise Jaye, I will not sneak one home.  I took a couple of babies out to the garden for blanket time with another Mama - I showed her some pictures of my family.  She was so pleased to hear a bit about my life.

Little Elizabeth has Hydrocephalus (water on the brain) and has had 3 shunt operations.  It is unlikely that she can endure another one.  She has had fevers for several days so they tested her for malaria.  Poor little thing, her head is so big, she can't even  hold it up.

People here are so poor, children play with sticks in the dirt - many people live in simple shacks.  I brought toys and balls for them but will wait as once they realize that "the white person" is giving things, they are all over you.  This is another world and not at all fair but it is reality for Africa - unlikely to change soon.

More later - thanks for reading.  I promise more pictures of beautiful children............soon!

2 comments:

  1. It so hard to image children playing in dirt poor things, and we have so much here in Canada. I'm happy to hear your safe, take extra good care of yourself. We miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy.
    So sad to hear about the disabilities,hydrocephalus is awful, I have seen children with their heads so big they cannot hold them up and it gets more difficult the older they get. We need to appreciate what we have here in Canada (Praise the Lord). keep up all your good work. |HELEN

    ReplyDelete