Friday, March 5, 2010

More excitement....

Yesterday, Catherine and I went into town.  My back had been strained for a day or so and I badly needed an afternoon out.  We took the Dala Dala to town and went to Hotel Talapia to have lunch.  Catherine had not been to the hotel and had not seen the beautiful view of Lake Victoria.  We had a great lunch and chat.  She is such a wonderful person and we get along so well.  After lunch, we took a taxi to a market.  After neogating the taxi fee - they always charge more to white people -and off we went.  We arrived at the market and I opened the taxi door after paying the driver.  A man on a bicycle ran straight into the door of the car and fell off his bike.  I was shocked and so frightened that he had been hurt - I had visions of being arrested in Africa.  He brushed himself off and said "no problem" and rode off.  Then we tried to shut the car door and it would not shut.  I looked at the driver and he looked at me.  I thought I might have to buy him a new car door.  He said, "no problem" and I said "but it is a problem".  I gave him 10,000 shillings which is a lot of money here but only $10.00 Canadian.  He was so pleased and I was relieved and again apologized.  Off we went to the market.  That is when Catherine realized her favourite sweater had been left in the car.  She was annoyed with herself.  About 15 minutes later, guess who appeared - the taxi driver looking for us so he could return the sweater.  We were amazed at his kindness - she gave him another 5000 shillings and we took his number and name - Paul.  Catherine calls these moments - "Champagne Moments" and they truly are.

Today, I went to the Baby Home early and part way through the morning, I took Pili and Zwadi for a walk back to the volunteer house to get my camera and to give them some juice.  They are so happy to get out for a walk.  We also took some headbands back to the Baby Home so the kids could try them on and have them for their dress-up bin.  My good friend Ellen who owns "Beaners Fun Cuts for Kids" in Newmarket gave them to me to bring here.  Well, they were such a hit - attached see a picture of the girls - the boys also tried them on - even the Mama's.

After work, Catherine and I went to pick up a skirt she had made in the market from Sophia - she let me take her picture.  People here do not like having their picture taken and are offended by it.  You have to be very careful about this and always have to ask permission.  Imagine, someone you don't know coming up to your house wanting to take pictures of you and your children.  I asked Sophie if I could take her picture and she said "yes" and posed away.  Then we went to the market and I had little barrettes, little stuffed animals and some balls for the kids.  Today I decided to give a few out to some children.  The lady at the vegetable stand said I could take her picture of her and Angel.  The ladies at the Duka shop were so excited to have their picture taken.  I will make sure to send a copy.  We buy eggs, milk, water and phone time at the little Duka shop.  So it was a good day.................except little Lily is hospitalized for a few days as she has been so sick and no one seems to know what she has.  Little Anthonly has just been discharged from hospital.  This is such a problem here - there is always something going around,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sorry - an extra picture is attached.........

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dorothy. I can hear in your writing that you are really doing great things there. WOW What an experience. I suspect that, when it comes time to go, you will have trouble leaving all those adorable children. I can't wait to see and hear from you on your return. Stay well and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey:

    I am glad to hear that you were not arrested. I am sure this would be an experience that you would rather not have. He seemed very kind.
    Sorry for the delay in commenting. I meant to write you sooner.
    Since the last time I read your blog you have been very, very busy. I am glad to see that the children are enjoying some of the wonderful donations that were given to you. The smiles on their faces is priceless. You look wonderful and sound like it has been everything you thought it would be.
    We got your post card at work and I am a little jealous that you were able to get so close to those animals. I wish that I had been there with you. Thankfully you were not eaten!
    I told Justin that I was going to learn how to carry the new baby on my back just as you are doing.
    Well, please stay safe and keep writing. We all look forward to hearing about everything. Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete